Well, my title says it all.
I've said this before, but I really think I was meant to live in the "Little House on the Prairie" days. :) I do love blogging and reading other peoples blogs, I like the convenience of e-mail, I love my ipod, and I like the information that can be found on the internet. But with that said, I also think technology is getting to be too much.
Examples:
~ I asked Justin one day why he didn't comment on my blog (he since then has gone back and commented, what a good husband). He said its because he uses a google reader (you can read more about this on his site) and he doesn't go to peoples individual blogs, so doesn't have the option to comment. So...I think this has taken technology a step further and made it even more impersonal.
~The iphone. I know Justin is REALLY into the iphone, and I am sure a bunch of you are too...so don't be offended. But in my opinion it is just one more thing to take "business men" away from their families. Now they will not only be able to text message and talk on their cell phone while out to eat with their wives/families, but they can do e-mail and a bunch of other things. Why can't we just leave the house and NOT BE REACHED??? Why do people think they need to talk to us at that exact moment. Which leads me to how much I hate my cell phone. Really, if I am not at home then I am probably not available to sit down and have a chat. And it's annoying to me for Justin to have a cell phone. It seems like someone always needs to talk to him about something. And they probably do have logical questions for him, but if they knew he couldn't be reached then they would probably be able to figure it out on their own. I KNOW that part of his job is to be available to kids, and I am all for that. But it is rarely kids calling him. (please don't stop calling us. :) none of this is directed at people, its directed at the technology...if that makes any sense!)
~Self checkouts. ATM machines. Now I have a love/hate relationship with these. They are so easy to use and the lines are usually shorter. But it takes any human connection out of it. Is it possible that we as Christians should choose not to use these because it eliminates a opportunity for us to show love and encouragement to another person?
I could go on. I think it very ironic that I am married to someone so into technology and always wants to have the latest and greatest, and I usually want to throw my cell phone out the window and get rid of our internet...I guess opposites really do attract.
7 comments:
Is it possible that we as Christians should choose not to use these because it eliminates a opportunity for us to show love and encouragement to another person?
now THAT's a missional thought you can take to the bank. THAT is the single-best reason i've ever heard in the case "against technology".
i wonder if "wives" thought these thoughts before caller-id and with regular home phones?
or has this changed now that everyone's got caller id on their phones and every answered call is a choice to "take it"?
or the fact that if you call someone's cell phone it is because you are calling THEM, not just "the family of..."? like, since every call is a choice to take, and they are directed at the cell phone owner, then every answered call is a CHOICE for someone other than the person you're with...
i believe this may be the "root" of my wife's heart here. and to that i speak this truth:
she is my beautiful and most important choice i continually make at all times from every moment until tomorrow and beyond.
and if i answer your call, it will be to tell you that I CHOOSE HER!
i DO agree that it is super weak-sauce that Google Reader [and all other RSS readers] do not have a "comment on this post" button or a way to integrate and update the comment content on the same feed.
i've researched this quite in depth, because i think it takes the fullest extent of "community" out of blogging, but alas, the technology isn't quite available yet. and yes, i'm trying to be better about commenting on blogs that i read.
[i'm going to explain my last comment to kristi now.]
i like how justin posted a comment on your blog that mentioned him never posting comments on your blog... :)
technology = robots.
in my english 102 class, we read these five essays on how technology is planning to go in the future. There's an idea for an blanket that you put on your baby to sleep. You can somehow record soothing message and words onto like a tape recorder thing IN the blanket and if the baby cries, the sensors pick up the sound and play the message left for your baby. You of course have a tiny beeper that beeps once to tell you the baby is awake and making noise but not to worry the fake you in the blanket can deal with it. It beeps twice only if the baby continues to cry for at least 5 minutes. Then you go in and check on him.
horrible? i think so.
i think that is freaking cool!
[says the heartless, loves technology .justin]
I think this post poses a very truthful and sad aspect of humans. so many people can agree with what you said, but then can't bring themselves to get rid of their technology. I probably would have a very hard time with it. that's pretty sad.
By the way, very good point in the quote that justin highlights. it definitely made me think when I read it the 1st time.
I think that really technology all stems because in reality we all have some form of a social phobia, even if deeply seeded or are unconsiously aware of the issue.
I have thought those same things Kristi. I also agree with Shalisa's thought about it being a phobia. I wonder if it may be even deeper than fear and more about self centerdness. One on one or group connections take "time" and we humans are very selfish about our time. Zipping off a message is just plain faster than getting into a conversation. It's all about us. So many times I've said to myself after leaving a phone message, "there, now it's out of my hands and they can deal with it", or "thank goodness, I didn't get stuck on the phone". Shame on me. What if that person needed me to listen to their idea, pain, or good news? I think it's so sad to lose the "live" side of communication.
On the other side...I love keeping in touch with long distance friends on MySpace. It has been fun and even connected me with some old and new friendships that never would have happened otherwise.
Maybe moderation is the key to using technology just as it is with other "good things" that can get out of control in our lives. You know, like food, tv, shopping, alchol. . .
Post a Comment